THE CHALLENGE!




Welcome readers!

I hope you are all faring well in these uNPReceDENtED TimES (I hear this phrase tooooo much!). 
I have some GREAT NEWS! Today is the day I finally let you know about the challenge that I am hosting!

 From speaking to many of my readers, I know that coding is something that everyone is trying to learn or get better at - I addressed this in my previous post. That's why I have come up with this new challenge - the first EVER to be done on my blog!

The objectives of the challenge 

DESIGN A GAME
For this you need NO CODING EXPERIENCE! Similar to the way I detailed the basketball game I made (see my previous post here ). The judging criteria for this is 
  • Come up with the most engaging/creative game. Explain the objective of the game. If you like, even do some of the design for the aspects of the game! Get creative dudes and dudettes!
  • Consider carefully the components of the game - what are the parts of the game that specific code would need to be devoted to? The more attention paid to this the better, especially as I want to see evidence of algorithmic thinking! 
  • Create some sort of flowchart/pseuodocode to demonstrate how the code/components would make the game work. This should also be detailed (although you don't need to use code syntax if you do not know how). A brief description of the functions you used to make each component should be enough :)
RESEARCH
  • As a follow up for the game, I would also like you to research different coding languages, and tell me which coding language you would use to implement your game and why? This may be, for example, due to the hardware that this game would run on, or simply for ease of the coding experience. THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER, but I want to see consideration of the coding language you would to make the game, as it shows that you have thoroughly thought about all aspects of how the game would work, and how you would make it. NOTE: You don't have to code this game in the given language, or even code it at all. 

Winner Gets..


  • A PERSONAL FEATURE on my blog! This will be a picture of you, information about you and your interests, and the information about your designed game. This is the aspect I am most excited about, because I know that so many of you want to get into tech, and with the growth that my blog has seen of late, I think it would be great to use this platform to uplift new talent.
  • Their game will be developed by ME and be the fourth game I will include in the Gamekid device I am making! This is an amazing opportunity to collaborate with me, and I am so excited for what will come out of it.

Important Info

The deadline for submission is the 31st May. . To submit entries or to ask a question, click [COMPETITION CLOSED]. I am open to all submissions, and remember - you don't just have to be a coder to enter! This is a good chance to develop problem solving skills, put yourself out there and gain some really good experience of something new!

I will be judging the submissions, and announcing the winners in a webinar I will be speaking in, with SLLY (Success Looks Like You). They are an amazing organisation I have been collaborating with on this, and have benefited from in the past, and I am very excited for the many things I have planned with them in the future. To find out more about them, the mentoring they provide and the career skills they offer, click this.

The webinar where you will find out who the winner is will be hosted on Saturday 6th June at 1pm.  I will be giving more information about the specifics of that webinar shortly, so stay tuned for updates from this blog, and from my linkedin and instagram stories. 

I am so so so so so excited to be doing this! Before I close, I really want to emphasise: YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW HOW TO CODE! Of course it helps if you can, but this should ideally be something that helps introduce you to the world of coding, and gives you a flavour of the kind of considerations coders would make, especially in regards to game development. I am really looking for creativity, thoughtfulness, and effort, so bear that in mind when applying. 

I look forward to going though your submissions - and may the best person win!!!

See you soon, and good luck!

EO

Comments