SMART FASHION - tech exhibition

Hey Readers!
Its been a hot minute - I know.  But A Levels, whew chile!
A couple months back I visited Imperial College London to attend a smart fashion tech exhibition, and being as inspired as I was, I felt the need to share some of what I was able to learn about the experience.
The expanse of what was covered ranged from clothes that grow to smart prosthetics. I will briefly go go through some of the things I found very interesting that evening:
LAVANYA:
By Anisha Kanabar
This was one of my faves and actually the first stall that I visited. The purpose of the desig was to tackles muscoskeletal problems linked to the continued strain that the saree garment has on the body when warn by Southern Asian women. By using flexible materials and clever weaving she has managed to craft a garment that maintains the same design and supports the knees properly to maintain the desired look.
SMART TATOOS:
By Ali Yetisen
This was a really cool idea, that has actually inspired me slightly. This uses chemicals in the tattoos that are sensitive to changes in the body, such as increasing blood sugars, changing pH levels and more. The changing colour of the tattoo can then indicate when it is required that a person should take their medicine, or if they are okay.
MITT:
By Nathan Macabuag
This was probably my favourite of the evening (not to be biased or anything, but it strikes a chord with what I want to do in the future so...). This was a really cool prosthetic arm that allowed the user greater mobility than most mainstream prosthetic arms. It uses motors controlled by a motion sensor within the mitt to mimic the movement of a wrist (Something I worked out and felt pretty chuffed about not gonna lie).  They also make use of light weight materials to decrease the strain on the wearer. Personally I found this so cool, so imma drop their website right here: https://www.wearmitt.com/
CLOTHES THAT GROW
By Petit Pli
This is another cool one (they're all cool let me just stop), and as the name suggest, the clothes grow. No they don't have roots and starts spindling off like vines -  the concept is that they are made of synthetic materials which are also water proof and recyclable. This not only provides a durable item of clothing, it also ensures that it is cheap and non harmful to the environment. The aim of the design is to provide clothing that grows with you (this is aimed more towards children though so sorry to anyone over the age of 12 ). It uses a specific method of pleating to ensure that it can stretch to its maximum. Again, I'll drop their FAQ page here, because it has loads of lovely stuff: https://shop.petitpli.com/pages/faqs

I just think in general its really nice to see this fusion of technology and fashion. As our society become more and more dependant on technology, it is really nice to see this being utilised in fashion. Imagine having a hat that can monitor your thoughts, or telling the time from a thin OLED screen interwoven into your jacket (not too far off from the reality in the next 10 years). It sounds corny, but the future is definitely bright for fashion.

Comments

Popular Posts