WhatIF - Magnetic Motorways

Hi readers!

I hope you have all had a blessed and productive fortnight - I sure have.

I was bored tonight, and thought, as you do, to design something, because I haven't really worked on anything for a while now, and I don't want my designing skills to get rusty. So here is my version of a Maglev Train - but as a car instead. It is based on the principles of magnetic attraction, repulsion, and Fleming's Left Hand rule, which enables rotation of the vehicle.
For those who don't know, a Maglev train is one which uses sections of magnetic floor that have alternating magnetic polarisation to accelerate the train, and brake the train. There is minimal friction, no carbon dioxide emission directly from the trains, and travel is faster and smoother. It would be a good thing to be able to incorporate this into cars too.

Below I have some images of my drawing. I do appreciate that my handwriting may be hard to read, so I will summarise briefly each page (there's only two).
The highlighted bit in blue says that the road has an opposite polarisation to the car, so the car is attracted forwards
The above image shows the framework for the car. The car will have an electromagnetic base, that changes every 50m to match the polarisation of the next section of the road. This keeps the car suspended, so it is floating - thus eliminating friction. To steer, the wheel (which I have not drawn but will draw in my next one) can be used to change the direction of the current. The direction of the current is used to steer the car - but steering only works as the car is moving.

This image shows how acceleration might work on the roads with a car like this. The pedal would be connected to a rotating wheel, that is in contact with a rough surface. When the driver presses on this harder, the friction between the wheel and the surface increases, which gives out heat. a thermistor is held in place within the acceleration box. This decreases the circuit resistance, so the current increases. This causes the magnetic field induced in the front part to increase, so the attraction forwards is greater. However this also means that the repulsion experienced on its current section on the road increases so it might start tilting upwards. There would need to be extra weighting to combat this, near the front, so the vehicle is level.
I still need to work on how braking would happen.
In the next two weeks I should have a better solution involving more controls, like the wheel and the breaks, and the materials from which this would all be built.

I appreciate this is not a perfect solution, but in time, and with more design and research, it will definitely get better.

Have a blessed week :)
EO

Comments

  1. Consistency is key! Good on you for using your free time to do something productive, try and find solutions not to problems and pursue your passion! Definitely inspirational and looking forward to more

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts