Cambridge Masterclass - Neuroscience

Cambridge hosted a lecture some weeks ago about neuroscience, and being the Cambridge fanatic that I am,  I attended. Obviously, as you all should know by now, I want to be an engineer, but I guess no knowledge is ever lost, so I went. Also it tied in perfectly with one of the WHAT IF's that I will do pretty soon (stay tuned).
I learned loads from the event, and even though I'm not doing chemistry, they broke it down to a level where even I understood the logic behind it. They explained how impulses travel along nerves by changing the potential difference inside and outside the cell, the importance of ions in this, and about how neural patterns develop from the embryotic stage to when a person is an adult.
I think what was most refreshing about the experiencing was that I got to look at mechanisms from a biological standpoint. I think that now as technology aims to mirror biology more and more, it is nice to see how nature authentically has woven such intricate and clever ways for us to think and remember (I'll stop geeking now).
There was a lot of content, and much of the morning there was spent having a "taster lecture" which would have been what it would be like if I was someone studying neuroscience at Cambridge. It was very well presented, with loads of notes to make. I remember just scribbling random names down and thinking - I must research this, I must research this! Procrastination has really been trying me recently, but don't worry, I will have something by the end of the week.
The rest of the session was spent talking about how to get into Cambridge for any of the natural sciences. As I specified previously, natural sciences is not what I want to do, but I still found it interesting how Cambridge assesses each student and how they interview you. If you are serious about wanting to go to Cambridge, I would definitely suggest going to a Master Class.
And for any of you who know him, I met Ibz Mo, so that was amazing. Watch his YouTube chanel, he is hilarious.
I went to the lecture with a project in mind that I wanted to plan (and hopefully carry out, if my money stretches that far) so stay tuned. I will share my research in the next week, and then I will show the model of my next WHAT IF.
Peace and Love,
EO

Comments

Popular Posts